Yes. Bettors situated in New Zealand can bet legally using TAB. This is the only online betting operator that sits within the regulated NZ betting market. However, online bettors in New Zealand can also gain access to betting operators based outside of New Zealand. These include reputable brands such as Ladbrokes, Mr Play, Karamba Sports, bet365, LeoVegas and many more.
NZ Online Sports Bet, Odds, Free Bets and Tips!
Kia ora, Kiwis! Compare the best betting sites New Zealand has to offer. From top rugby betting sites to cricket betting operators, we have it ALL!
Best NZ Online Betting Sites
Amplify your online bets with the help of a betting bonus! Here are the top sports betting sites currently promoting free bets and bonuses to NZ players.
Featured Betting Offers NZ
New Player Bonuses in NZ
Get the new player treatment with these NZ sports betting sites and claim a welcome bonus to begin your betting journey with.
18+, Welcome Bonus: New depositing sport players only. Offer only applies to players who are residents of New Zealand. Min deposit NZ$20, minimum wagering on sport NZ$40, req qualifying bets at min odds at 2.00, offers valid for 14 days; max one NZ$20 free bet per customer, paid as bonus token with min odds 1.80 req. Selected payment methods. Tournaments run every Friday at 00:00 CET until Thursday 23:59 CET. Tournament Timeout Limit: 35. Stake contribution per bet: £1. Minimum odds: 1.30. Minimum bets in tournament to be eligible for reward: £10. 1st Place Prize: £1000. Prizes granted up to 48h after tournament ends. Free Bet does not contribute towards leaderboard.
The NZ Online Sports Betting Industry
The legislation around online sports betting in New Zealand has changed significantly in recent years. It is now legal for New Zealand residents to place online sports bets from within NZ under the Gambling Act.
The Gambling Act, which was introduced in 2003, made certain online gambling services, including sports betting, racing betting and lotteries, permitted. These are operated and controlled under the Totalisator Agency Board, which is a division of the New Zealand Racing Board.
Currently, TAB, which is an acronym of the Totalisator Agency Board, has a monopoly on the New Zealand online betting industry and is the only betting operator regulated by NZ authorities.
However, there are many options beyond TAB. New Zealand-based gamblers can access gambling services online from operators based outside of New Zealand. Popular betting brands such as William Hill, Ladbrokes, Betway and Bet365 are now accepting New Zealand players.
Popular Betting Markets in New Zealand
Famed for its rugby and cricket teams, New Zealand has a strong association with competitive sports. However, when looking at New Zealand’s appetite for sports betting, their tastes are rather eclectic. This is why online sportsbooks offering services in New Zealand will provide a variety of sports betting markets for Kiwi players to explore.
These include football, soccer, cricket, rugby, baseball, basketball, tennis, horse racing and much more. As well as popular sports, players can also bet on markets such as volleyball, handball, squash, surfing and snooker.
Betting Promotions in New Zealand
Whether you are new to online betting or have been wagering on sports for years, you will understandably want to find the best sites for online promotions. This is because online betting promotions can help players to place their bets at a reduced rate or free of charge. Here are the most commonly-offered online betting promotions in New Zealand:
- Welcome Bonuses: Welcome bonuses, or sign up bonuses as they are often called, are bonuses given to players when they register a new account. NZ online betting sites will use welcome bonuses as an incentive to try and generate interest amongst new players.
- Risk-Free Bets: Risk-free bets are a popular promo type for bettors not only in New Zealand but throughout the world. They are bonuses awarded to players after they have experienced their first loss. They essentially reimburse players should they fail to turn a profit with their first bet.
- No Deposit Free Bets: No deposit free bets are the most-searched-for betting promos by New Zealand bettors. This is because, unlike many free bet variations, the player will not need to deposit any money whatsoever in order to access the bonus money.
- Matched Free Bets: Matched free bets are a standard offer provided by most betting sites internationally. They refer to bonuses that ‘match’ the deposit amount that the player has parted with.
- Free Bet Bundle: With betting sites competing against one another to win your business, many will work hard to make their welcome bonus as attractive as possible. This has seen a rise in the number of bookmakers offering free bet bundes. These provide players with multiple free bets to use over several bets.
- Event Bonuses: Many bettors will log into online betting accounts in the run-up to big sporting events. In order to capitalise on this, betting operators will offer event-based bonuses. These can be geared at specific football matches, golf tournaments, races and so on.
- Refer a Friend Bonus: Refer a friend bonuses are one of the many ways New Zealand online betting sites are growing their gambling communities. These offers provide players with extra funds in exchange for referring the site to friends and peers. The value of the free bets can be as high as $200!
- Acca Insurance Deals: Accumulator betting is becoming increasingly popular in New Zealand. Acca bets incorporate various selections, all of which have to be correct for the bet to be successful. Acca insurance deals provide acca bettors with insurance, covering them if one selection were to end up being incorrect.
- Best Odds Guaranteed: Best Odds Guaranteed offers are most commonly associated with horse racing bettors. This ensures that if there is a movement in a horse's price, the bookie will pay out on the best price possible.
- Extra Places Offers: Extra Places offers are for horse racing bettors placing each-way bets. As their name would suggest, they see bookies pay out on extra places. For instance, if a bookie usually pays out on the first three horses in a race, an extra place offer will see them pay out on the fourth.
The Fundamentals of a Top Online NZ Betting Site
When renewing your online betting options in New Zealand, you will want to ensure that the site you are signing up to can accommodate your betting needs and preferences. Here are the most important factors to focus on:
- Betting Promotions: One of the biggest sellest points for a player looking to register with a betting site is the promotions it has to offer. This is because online betting promotions can not only save players money but allow them to explore new and exciting betting opportunities. The best online betting promotions you will find on NZ online betting sites include free bets, acca insurance bonuses, refer a friend bonuses and extra places offers.
- Loyalty Program: While betting sites with generous new player promotions are great, how a betting site treats its existing customers is a testament to them as a brand. This is why betting sites with loyalty programs are always favourable.
- Breadth of Markets: The more betting options available on a betting site, the better. This is because players with many options can get a better idea of what they enjoy, making every session fun and engaging. New Zealand online betting sites with the best selection of betting markets include Bet365 and LeoVegas.
- Bet Types Covered: As well as a great selection of betting markets, betting sites with various bet types are also advantageous.
- Responsible Gambling: When looking for a new betting site to register with, safety is of the utmost importance. This is why reviewing an operator’s responsible gambling policy and tools is always a worthwhile move.
- Design and Layout: The aesthetics of a betting site can have a significant impact on how enjoyable it is to use and bet through. When comparing NZ online betting sites, be sure to look into the layout and design, ensuring it is easy on the eye and the markets you are interested in are simple to navigate.
- Customer Services: A betting site with a strong customer service offering is always one to consider. Whether you have a question about the betting service or a grievance you want rectifying, it’s a great source of comfort knowing that you will be answered promptly. The best betting operators will offer customer service support via the telephone, email and live chat.
New Zealand Online Betting FAQs
We look at the most commonly-asked questions from NZ bettors.
Sports betting is becoming increasingly popular in New Zealand. Players have many options when it comes to where they can place bets, with more betting sites taking NZ players than ever. Players in NZ now have more than 20 betting site options to choose from. These include the NZ-originated TAB as well as brands such as Guts, Rabona and Bet365.
Many attributes make a top betting site. In our opinion, the best NZ betting sites are the ones that offer safe gambling environments, healthy new player promotions, and a wide range of sports betting markets to explore. From our research, we believe the betting sites that fit this bill are TAB, Bet365, LeoVegas and Bet365.
Claiming online betting bonuses in New Zealand is incredibly simple. Whether you are looking for bonuses on the TAB, Bet365 or 22Bet website, the instructions will be easy-to-follow and readily available. We have found that the bookies offering the healthiest bonuses are Bet365, Betway, William Hill and Ladbrokes. Wherever you decide to source your online betting promotions from, you will likely need to have created an online betting account first. To sign up to a betting site, you must state some details. These include your name, address, contact details and date of birth. Each betting site will have its own set of criteria, so be sure to read the full set of instructions.
This is a question we get asked a lot. Betting sites are worth it as long as you are gambling responsibly and understand the risk you face of losing money. Only when you view online betting as a form of entertainment can you really enjoy it as a pastime. Here at betting.bet, we go to great lengths to educate our players on how to get enjoyment from NZ betting sites while remaining in control. This includes safe gambling content and information on gambling charities and helplines.
Many online betting sites will allow NZ bettors to bet on horse racing events and festivals. These include TAB, Ladbrokes, Betway and many more. NZ betting sites that carry horse racing tend to offer betting options on events and festivals taking place across the globe. These include iconic meets such as the Kentucky Derby in the US and the Cheltenham Festival in the UK.
There are plenty of betting sites permitting players to bet on NZ racing today. These include Ladbrokes, TAB and many other big-name bookies. If you wish to bet on NZ racing today, you will need to create an online betting account with a horse racing betting site. This takes just a few minutes.
Betting.bet has one core aim; to help bettors find the best offers and bookmakers in New Zealand. Via betting.bet, bettors can read in-depth reviews on New Zealand betting sites and access the latest sign up offers. Betting.bet is essentially your one-stop shop for online betting in New Zealand. If you are looking for top deals, the best operators and information regarding betting strategies and markets, you have found yourself on the right website!
Most NZ betting operators will offer players a welcome bonus. This is essentially a free token to bet with on sign up. Welcome bonuses come in all shapes and sizes. Where some will require the players to part with a deposit, others will be completely free. This is why before you claim any welcome bonus, you should read the terms and conditions fully.
Players will not have to pay tax on their online betting winnings. However, some online betting sites will have various fees associated with betting and withdrawing winnings.